International Programs

International Undergraduate Admissions

How do I apply for admission to Henderson State University as an international student?

Any student who is not currently a U.S. citizen, does not have a U.S. permanent resident card (green card), and is not an undocumented immigrant, should apply for admission as an international student. International undergraduate applicants (freshman, transfer, or dual degree) must submit the following:

  1. International admissions application
  2. Non-refundable $30 application fee. Payable by check or money order to the address below or via Flywire ( If you pay via Flywire, please be sure to note your full name as it appears on your application.
  3. Official academic credentials, as described in the “What academic credentials are required…” section.
  4. Demonstration of English proficiency, as described in the “What are Henderson State’s English language requirements?” section
  5. Provide vaccination records listing all required immunizations.
  6. A copy of your passport, including photo of yourself.
  7. Proof that you, or someone who will sponsor you, can pay for your studies at HSU. The Statement of Financial Responsibility is required for this purpose. The financial statement should show that the student has at least $19,620 (USD) to cover tuition, fees, room and board, mandatory health insurance, and books and other course related expenses. This amount is an estimate based on a student who takes 12 credit hours per semester and resides in a double occupancy university dorm room and purchases a basic meal plan. The exact cost of tuition, fees, room and board, and health insurance will be calculated at the time of registration.

Application Deadlines

Fall Term: May 31

Spring Term: October 31

What are Henderson State’s English Language requirements?

Students who are citizens of non-English-speaking countries must show proof of English language proficiency.

Achieve a qualifying score on an English proficiency exam accepted at Henderson State. Minimum English Requirements (must meet one of the following):

  • IELTS – Score of 5 or better
  • Duolingo-Score of 90 or better
  • Pearson PTE score of 44 or better
  • Internet-based TOEFL – Score of 61 or better
  • Paper-based TOEFL – Score of 500 or better

Official test scores should be sent directly to Henderson State University using reporting code 6272. Scanned copies are acceptable. Please e-mail the test scores to

What academic credentials are required for admission?

Degree-seeking international students who are applying to enter as a freshman:

Prerequisite: Graduation from a high school recognized by the ministry of education in your home country

Required credentials: Official transcripts/diplomas in English, showing all courses and grades of final three years of secondary school, with an equivalent to a US high school GPA of 2.50 or better.

  • Applicants must also submit ACT or SAT scores. Scores are used for placement purposes only so no minimum is required. If you are unable to obtain these scores accommodations can be made for you to take the ACT upon your arrival to Henderson.
  • Applicants from non-English-speaking countries must also show proof of English language proficiency, as described under “English language requirements.”

Degree-seeking international students who are transferring from another foreign college or university:

Prerequisite: Graduation from a high school recognized by the ministry of education in your home country, equivalent to a minimum U.S. 2.0 college GPA, and must be eligible to return to last institution attended

Required credentials: Official transcripts/diplomas in English, showing all courses from each college or university attended. You will need to submit your transcripts to a credential evaluation service first, before we can consider you a transfer student. This process must be done before the admission process can be completed.

Degree-seeking international students who are transferring from another American college or university:

Prerequisite: Minimum 2.0 college GPA (4.0 system)

Required credentials: Official transcripts from the university that you are currently attending. Print out the SEVIS Transfer Form, fill out the top half and submit it to the school you are currently attending. Once the form is filled out by the International Student Advisor at your current school,your advisor should submit it to the Center for International Programs at Henderson.

What will happen after I apply?

You will be informed of your admission status once your application and all required documents have been received and processed. Admissions decisions are usually made within two weeks after we receive all required documents.

Once a student is admitted, it generally takes about two weeks for us to issue an I-20 if we have received all of the necessary information. We will notify you via email when we issue your I-20.

What do I need after being admitted?

Upon receiving a letter of admission, international students should follow the housing application instructions on their admission letter or e-mail, so that living arrangements can be secured in one of the residence halls if such services are needed.

Students should consult the Planning and Arrival Information page for dates on which they must arrive at Henderson. Students must arrange their own transportation.

What should I do once arrive on campus?

Medical insurance is mandatory and may be purchased through Henderson. The cost is approximately $122 per month and it is payable along with tuition. The insurance fee is due in the fall and spring semester.