International Programs

F-1 Visa Regulations

In order to remain in status as an international student, you must comply with required regulations pertaining to your F-1 Visa. You are responsible for knowing these regulations and for complying with them fully. In general, students must maintain the required amount of hours for their respective education level. They also must make sure that their I-20, passport, and I-94 are valid. Student visas can expire and the student can stay in the U.S. However, when the student leaves the country they may have to renew their visa before returning to the US. Before ever leaving the U.S., a student must have his or her I-20 signed by one of the staff members in the International Programs Office. You are advised to address all questions concerning your status as an international student to the International Programs Office. For more information on maintaining your status and for other information, please see below.

What Should I Do If My Visa Has Expired?

A visa is a permit to enter the United States. Once you are in the U.S., you no longer need a valid visa to remain here. However, you must renew an expired visa in order to reenter the U.S. after a visit abroad.

What Documents Will I Need to Renew My Visa Abroad?

In order to renew an F-1 visa you will need to take the following documents with you to U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Valid form I-20
  3. Current proof of financial support
  4. Current transcript*
  5. Letter of attendance from HSU

*Although the visa officer does not always require you to show a transcript, you may find it useful as proof that you have been making normal progress towards your degree.

Is It Possible to Renew A Visa in Canada or Mexico?

Yes, it is possible but not recommended as there is a risk of denial. For more information, please visit the Department of State website.

SEVIS Information

SEVIS is the Student Exchange and Visitor Information System that is used to track international students, exchange visitors and their dependents to ensure that they are in the United States for the purposes they stated. All F-1 students who attend Henderson State University are registered through the SEVIS system. Students who receive a letter of admission and an I-20 document from Henderson must pay their SEVIS fee before their scheduled interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country. For information about the SEVIS program, please visit the SEVIS website at To find out the amount of the SEVIS fee and how to pay the fee, visit